A Republican speaks. [URL]
a322x1n
2021-04-03 15:47:48 UTC
<https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/opinion-john-boehner-is-right-ab
out-the-gop-before-trump/ar-BB1ffBIp?ocid=msedgdhp>

<https://tinyurl.com/yfa8xzbs>

"During Donald Trump's presidency, many of his critics argued that he
was the cause of so many problems plaguing the country and the
Republican Party. While Trump was far from innocent, as a former member
of Congress and lifelong Republican, I have never bought the simplicity
of that argument.

Instead, Trump was a consequence of the shifting dynamics in the United
States -- and specifically within the GOP -- that allowed an
anti-establishment candidate to rise to power and act on his worst
impulses while in office.

In simpler terms, Trump was gasoline on the proverbial fire.

Former House Speaker John Boehner, in excerpts from "On the House: A
Washington Memoir," provides clear evidence that the Republican Party
was already struggling with its identity and ideology long before Trump
was a serious candidate for political office.

In the 2010 midterm elections, when the Tea Party-affiliated candidates
gained a number of seats in Congress, Boehner wrote, "You could be a
total moron and get elected just by having an R next to your name -- and
that year, by the way, we did pick up a fair number in that category."

Unfortunately, those Boehner labeled "morons" gained an outsized voice
within the House GOP conference, bringing their extreme views and
conspiracy theories to Congress. They pushed for legislation that had no
chance of passing -- including defunding Obamacare while President
Barack Obama was in office and Democrats controlled the US Senate -- and
attempted to obstruct the raising of the debt ceiling, which would have
led to fiscal Armageddon.

Their views were further amplified by a right-wing media ecosystem eager
to support these congressmen. As Boehner notes, Fox News talent, like
Sean Hannity, and Fox News leadership, at the time Roger Ailes, were all
too willing to provide those fringe members primetime placement every
evening. After all, giving a public forum to those members to rant about
their latest contrived outrage was good for ratings -- and the network's
bottom line.

What made a number of these Tea Party members -- many of whom formed the
Freedom Caucus -- so difficult to work with was their seeming lack of
interest in actually governing. Instead, many of them were consumed with
developing their media personas. Former US Rep. Michele Bachmann of
Minnesota, first elected in 2006, was one such example. Boehner writes
that her political rise was emblematic of conservative media's ability
to make "people who used to be fringe characters into powerful media
stars."

Rather than laying out policy plans to address issues facing everyday
Americans, the rejectionist wing of the GOP was more interested in
airing grievances, stoking anger and settling political scores. In
contrast, I spent most of my days focused on doing my committee work,
serving my district's interests and largely avoiding national media
attention.

However, Boehner and I could not ignore the threat these extremists
posed to our party. At the time, government was divided. President Obama
and US Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid were the most powerful
Democratic voices in Washington DC. The only check on their liberal
agenda was the House Republican majority. Together, both sides would
need to engage in difficult negotiations and ultimately compromise to
govern effectively.

But there was one glaring problem. For many of these rejectionist
members, compromise was tantamount to capitulation or surrender. In
fact, several of these members referred to me as the leader of the
"Surrender Caucus." What earned me that label was my willingness to fund
the government, prevent a catastrophic default on America's full faith
and credit, vote for emergency assistance to victims of Hurricane Sandy,
enact a reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act that included
protections for LGBT Americans -- and other sins too numerous to
mention.

Sadly for Boehner, he never stood a chance. How could he possibly
succeed in negotiations when a block of roughly 40 GOP House members
undermined him at every opportunity and weakened his position in any
meeting with Obama, Reid or even Democratic House leader Nancy Pelosi?

As Boehner often said, "If I don't have 218 votes, I don't have s**t."
And his inability to keep the Republican caucus united meant he was
often left as the very kind of leader he warned against. "A leader with
no followers is just a guy taking a walk," he'd quip to me. But he was
absolutely right -- the party was fracturing, and there was no clear
sense who would emerge as the new leaders.

My personal breaking point occurred in September 2013 in the run-up to
Texas Sen. Ted Cruz' futile and self-serving government shutdown. At
that time, I observed how a freshman US senator in his first year in
office plunged the nation recklessly into turmoil, cheered on by an all
too willing conservative media echo chamber, seemingly to advance his
own naked presidential ambitions. Is it any wonder that Boehner referred
to Cruz as "Lucifer in the flesh"? What's worse, too many GOP members of
Congress who knew better joined this foolish march out of fear.

Yes, so much of the story of the transformation of the Republican Party
has been built on fear -- fear of fringe colleagues, fear of fringe
elements of the base and fear of fringe primary challengers. Sound
familiar? No one could exploit fear better than Trump himself.

In 2016, Trump turned fear into the highest form of political power. And
these intransigent fringe GOP elements, who were very good at telling
Boehner what he could not do, suddenly had the keys to the castle."
Ted
2021-04-04 02:08:52 UTC
Post by a322x1n
of that argument.
Instead, Trump was a consequence of the shifting dynamics in the United
States -- and specifically within the GOP -- that allowed an
anti-establishment candidate to rise to power and act on his worst
impulses while in office.
In simpler terms, Trump was gasoline on
the proverbial fire.
Former House Speaker John Boehner, in
Ha, I thought so. Boner's a RINO and not
even a real Christian. He once said he
believed the theory of evolution. Trump
probably rejected his homosexual
advances and that's what this is all about.
a322x1n
2021-04-04 09:01:14 UTC
Post by a322x1n
of Congress and lifelong Republican, I have never bought the
simplicity of that argument.
Instead, Trump was a consequence of the shifting dynamics in the
United States -- and specifically within the GOP -- that allowed an
anti-establishment candidate to rise to power and act on his worst
impulses while in office.
In simpler terms, Trump was gasoline on
the proverbial fire.
Former House Speaker John Boehner, in
Ha, I thought so. Boner's a RINO and not
even a real Christian. He once said he
believed the theory of evolution. Trump
probably rejected his homosexual
advances and that's what this is all about.
You don't believe in Evolution, "Ted"? You've
just identified yourself as a complete nutter.
Ted
2021-04-04 14:37:26 UTC
Post by a322x1n
of Congress and lifelong Republican, I have never bought the
simplicity of that argument.
Instead, Trump was a consequence of the shifting dynamics in the
United States -- and specifically within the GOP -- that allowed an
anti-establishment candidate to rise to power and act on his worst
impulses while in office.
In simpler terms, Trump was gasoline on
the proverbial fire.
Former House Speaker John Boehner, in
Ha, I thought so. Boner's a RINO and not
even a real Christian. He once said he
believed the theory of evolution. Trump
probably rejected his homosexual
advances and that's what this is all about.
You don't believe in Evolution, "Ted"?
You've
just identified yourself as a complete
nutter.
Aha! You and every other evolutionist always
run away whenever I try to open an honest
intelligent discussion. If evolution is true,
then why are there still monkeys? That
simple question always stops all atheists in
their tracks, as they have no answer other
than to admit they're mistaken and that
Genesis 1 is true, as we'd been telling them
all along. So they simply run away instead of
facing God's truth. Which is what I know
you'll do now.
a322x1n
2021-04-04 19:22:08 UTC
Post by a322x1n
Post by a322x1n
Post by a322x1n
<https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2011/10/04/3331957.htm>

Yep! Ted is a real, live, nutter. He just admitted it.
Ted
2021-04-04 23:01:15 UTC
Post by a322x1n
Post by a322x1n
Post by a322x1n
Post by a322x1n
of Congress and lifelong Republican, I have never bought the
simplicity of that argument.
Instead, Trump was a consequence of the shifting dynamics in the
United States -- and specifically within the GOP -- that
allowed
Post by a322x1n
Post by a322x1n
an
Post by a322x1n
Post by a322x1n
Post by a322x1n
Post by a322x1n
[...]
They said the same about Edison, but thank
God he didn't listen to them, or we wouldn't
know about relativity and would still be using
horses for transport.

As predicted, you couldn't answer my question. But you'll still
insist anyway on
believing in your demonic godless theory for
two reasons, first because it gives you
license to sin however you want, and second
because it excuses your racism.

I utterly despise people like you, but Jesus
loves you and so do I, and I'll pray for you.
foodandart
2021-04-06 19:53:56 UTC
If evolution is true, then why are there still monkeys?
Because monkeys are a separate species that went on a different adaptation path. H. Sapiens is actually a branch off of the limb of the tree that monkeys are on. What we see as monkeys now, are not what the species looked like when our evolutionary paths diverged. We went to ground, learned to stand on two legs, adapted big butt muscles and heavier spines to stay upright on, and the monkeys stayed in the trees, kept their hand-feet for gripping and got small and nimble and kept their tails for balance in order to bounce around up in the treetops.

More to the point, if evolution DOES NOT exist, explain how anti-biotics are now less effective in use against a disease like tuberculosis and what happened within the last 50 years to cause this?
P+Barker
2021-04-04 11:17:42 UTC
Post by a322x1n
In 2016, Trump turned fear into the highest form of political power. And
these intransigent fringe GOP elements, who were very good at telling
Boehner what he could not do, suddenly had the keys to the castle."
kinda like AOC, kamilla, bernie sanders now have the keys to the
castle?
a322x1n
2021-04-04 13:07:49 UTC
Post by P+Barker
Post by a322x1n
In 2016, Trump turned fear into the highest form of political power.
And these intransigent fringe GOP elements, who were very good at
telling Boehner what he could not do, suddenly had the keys to the
castle."
kinda like AOC, kamilla, bernie sanders now have the keys to the
castle?
Yes, they do, but they aren't insane like the Republicans they replace,
and they're working for the peace, security, and well being of the
American people.

The only thing the Republicans were interested in was their sick,
degenerate agenda. During the Trump years, the Republicans spat in
the face of America, over and over again.

You can see the level the Republicans have sunk to with their voter
suppression laws and gerrymandering.

Read Mr. Boehner's book, and see for yourself.
P+Barker
2021-04-04 19:43:39 UTC
Post by a322x1n
Post by P+Barker
Post by a322x1n
In 2016, Trump turned fear into the highest form of political power.
And these intransigent fringe GOP elements, who were very good at
telling Boehner what he could not do, suddenly had the keys to the
castle."
kinda like AOC, kamilla, bernie sanders now have the keys to the
castle?
Yes, they do, but they aren't insane like the Republicans they replace,
and they're working for the peace, security, and well being of the
American people.
The only thing the Republicans were interested in was their sick,
degenerate agenda. During the Trump years, the Republicans spat in
the face of America, over and over again.
You can see the level the Republicans have sunk to with their voter
suppression laws and gerrymandering.
Read Mr. Boehner's book, and see for yourself.
You read G Bush (43)'s book first.