Man sues Web site for allowing women to post comments that he's a 'cheater,' has herpes
MCP
2006-07-10 17:53:54 UTC
Liars and cheaters beware.

Victims of love used to gather the shards of a broken heart, cry on a friend's
shoulder and quietly file the episode away as a character-building experience.

Today, scorned lovers post anonymous diatribes on dating-advice Web sites. They name
names, divulge graphic details of disappointing sexual encounters, and warn future
potential victims about the charming cads who wade in the shallow end of the dating
pool.

But one alleged cheater says his reputation has been so harmed by the posts on a site
called DontDateHimGirl.com that he's suing the owner - and he's hired a private
investigator to dig up dirt on her and her site's anonymous posters.

Pittsburgh criminal defense attorney Todd Hollis says his ordeal began when he got a
concerned call from his mother, who is a minister. She wanted to know if he had a
sexually transmitted disease. A friend pointed her to Hollis' photo and profile on
DontDateHimGirl.com.

"It was terrible," Hollis told Courttvnews.com.

Hollis, 38, discovered four anonymous posts about him on the site's "alleged cheater"
database.

"Dark and handsome, ladies, he looks like a chocolate dream until you get to know
him," one person wrote.

The accusations from alleged former girlfriends ran the gamut from "Todd Hollis gave
me herpes," and "heard he was gay," to "he wears dirty clothes," "complains about
paying child support" and "he got hook-ups in every zip code."

Hollis says he called the owner of the site, Tasha Joseph, but she refused to take
down the posts.

"I pleaded with her that the information was incorrect, and that the reference could
personally hurt my business and my family," Hollis said. "She snubbed her nose at me
and refused to do so."

"That's a lie," Joseph told Courttvnews.com. "He never did that, he never contacted
me, and he clearly knows that. He went straight to the media."

Joseph, 33, said she first heard Hollis' name from a reporter at the Pittsburgh Post
Gazette. Hollis filed a defamation suit against the Web site owner on June 29.

He also claims to have hired a private eye to investigate Joseph, her family, and the
anonymous posters, whom he believes knowingly and maliciously published false and
defamatory statements about him.

"It just goes to show you the lengths he will go to intimidate me," Joseph says.
"He's hired someone to follow my 65-year-old parents, who have nothing to do at all
with this."

Hollis says that as an attorney, he is taking every action to be prepared for a
trial. Just as his character has been attacked on Joseph's site, he says, he intends
to investigate information that could shed light on Joseph's character.

"That's just what you do," Hollis says. "I certainly didn't go into this with the
intention of researching Tasha Joseph's past."

Hollis is seeking $350,000 in damages and alleges seven counts of defamation by
Joseph; the Cavelle Company, which owns the site's domain name; Carolyn Lattimore and
Alescia Roskov, two of the alleged posters; and five unidentified women whom he hopes
to unmask in the discovery process.

Hollis says he has never met Lattimore. Roskov, he claims, is a woman he casually
dated about three years ago.

Joseph says she will vigorously fight the suit and protect the anonymity of the
registered users who post on her site.

"I think it's a meritless case," she said. "We're protected by the Communications
Decency Act. It's pretty clear to me, but obviously it's not so clear to Mr. Hollis."

More specifically, Joseph is protected under Section 230 of the 1996 Act, which
guards online service providers from being sued for the actions of others.

"Section 230 means you don't blame the soapbox for what the speaker says ," according
to Rebecca Jeschke, spokesperson for the nonprofit Electronic Frontier Foundation.
"It protects publishers or people who host Web forums for liability. ... The writers
are the ones who are responsible for their speech."

Hollis would have to prove he's been defamed by the posters, Jeschke says, or that
private facts have been exposed about him.

The First Amendment protects anonymous speech, and the EFF has been involved in
several recent cases that upheld the rights of anonymous message board posters.

"People have a right to slam their ex-boyfriends," Jeschke says. "The question is:
When does it cross the line? When it crosses the line is when they can be unmasked."

Joseph, a former Miami Herald columnist, says that this is the first time her
six-month-old site has been sued.

"It's utterly ridiculous," she says. "And I will not be intimated or bullied."

To set the record straight, Hollis confirmed that he is not currently in a
relationship; he has, at times, dated more than one woman at a time; he does not have
herpes; he does not wear dirty clothes; and while it's possible he may have
complained about paying child support, his payments are always current.

His lawsuit notes that he is a "well-known and highly respected" attorney, who has
"an excellent reputation for honesty and integrity in both his business and personal
affairs," and that his earning capacity has been impaired by Joseph's conduct.

Hollis has suffered, according to the suit, "embarrassment, humiliation, and
emotional distress, which may be permanent in nature," because of Joseph's refusal to
remove the allegedly defamatory statements.

DontDateHimGirl.com is promoted as "a new cost-effective weapon in the war on
cheating men!"

The site claims an average of 600,000 hits per day, with a database of "thousands of
cheating men - with more being added each day!"

The sassy, girl-power-centric site offers articles such as "Four Simple Ways to Meet
a Great Guy!" ("Tip #1 . Smile and wave"), an "Ask Your Girl" column, where Joseph
gives advice on questions like, "How do I boost my self-esteem after a break-up?" and
a way for men to "Post Your Side of the Story!"

Hollis says he did not care to tell his side.

"The rebuttal process is equally ridiculous," he said. "It's done through e-mail and
you have to e-mail Ms. Joseph. It's very difficult to rebut information when you have
no references as to who the poster is."

Joseph says rebuttals are not done by e-mail, but that anyone can post comments,
which are automatically attached to the profile and not vetted by her in any way.

Hollis still wants Joseph held accountable.

"It is absolutely reprehensible for someone to be able to come up with false,
malicious and defamatory information about someone with the intent of destroying
their character, and be able to do so with impunity and anonymity," he says.

But the Web site is just one of several virtual snitching posts for the lovelorn.

WomanSavers.com ("Where Nice Guys Finish First!"), allows registered users to grouse
ad nauseam and to rate Mr. Wrong on a scale of 1-10 in such areas as sex, smarts, and
commitment issues.

At PlayersAndPsychos.com, men moan about "psychos" and women wax pathetic about
"players."

These sites require registration and adherence to standard terms of use, including
the understanding that posters are solely responsible for what they write, that the
site does not control the content or guarantee the accuracy.

Users also agree not to post defamatory material or statements that would violate
another person's rights.

Some say Hollis should laugh it off and walk away.

His suit has already brought thousands more viewers to the negative posts.

"The fact that more attention is drawn to my name as a result of my lawsuit is an
unfortunate necessity as a result of doing what I believe is morally correct," Hollis
says. "I believe it's a necessity in order to prevent other men from being victi ms.
Todd Hollis is just one person in the entire scheme of this elaborate nonsense that
Ms. Joseph has created."

But Joseph says she will not take down the posts. And she does not feel a moral
responsibility to police the free exchange of information by the site's users.

"I think we're all grown-ups here," Joseph says. "People need to govern their own
actions."
Daedalus
2006-07-10 19:40:55 UTC
Post by MCP
[...]
Right on sister! He's a whinging little pansy boy.

Jade
MCP
Just like you,Deadarsehole!
r***@pdq.net
2006-07-10 22:31:16 UTC
Post by Daedalus
Post by MCP
[...]
OTOH, if the things being said are false, how could this not be
defamation? It is deliberately damageing speech of a public nature
concerning a private person. It sounds like the kind of situation where
somebody is going to be required to prove the truth of her comments.

.
Jade
Ray Gordon
2006-07-11 04:56:36 UTC
Post by r***@pdq.net
OTOH, if the things being said are false, how could this not be
defamation? It is deliberately damageing speech of a public nature
concerning a private person. It sounds like the kind of situation where
somebody is going to be required to prove the truth of her comments.
The question seems more to be whether or not the website should be held
accountable despite 47 USC §230 immunity.
--
"Google maintains the USENET." -- The Honorable R. Barclay Surrick, Eastern
District of PA Judge
From Parker v. Google, E.D.Pa. #04-cv-3918
Ray Gordon
2006-07-11 04:55:11 UTC
Hmm, now that an ATTORNEY was the target of the defamation, he's making the
same arguments I made against Google, namely that 47 USC §230 should not
confer immunity to distributors of defamation.

This is also the argument that has so far held up in California with Barrett
v. Rosenthal.
actions."
John Michaels
2006-07-11 05:33:01 UTC
Since Ray has posted his troll bait, all it proves is that anyone can
sue anyone. Want to bet that this defense attorney at least put
together a filing you can read? Any takers.

Let me prove my point. Any one hear about the Michael Jordan lawsuit?
Think Ray might have a cousin? You decide
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0607080099jul08,1,3373101.story?track=rss

http://www.oregonlive.com/metro/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1152325527236920.xml&coll=7

Yep, the guy acted as his own attorney. Time to go to Pacer. Question
is who will get the better review? Ray or the Michael Jordan wacko?
actions."
Odious
2006-07-11 06:46:25 UTC
Since Ray has posted his troll bait, all it proves is that anyone can sue
anyone. Want to bet that this defense attorney at least put together a
filing you can read? Any takers.
I wonder if he's ever claimed to be Jesus or publicly threatened to use his
magic powers to kill and cripple the children of his critics?
actions."
JJTj
2006-07-11 10:40:59 UTC
Post by Odious
Since Ray has posted his troll bait, all it proves is that anyone can sue
anyone. Want to bet that this defense attorney at least put together a
filing you can read? Any takers.
I wonder if he's ever claimed to be Jesus or publicly threatened to use his
magic powers to kill and cripple the children of his critics?
like these...?...
Post by Odious
]] "You seem to think I fear death. I fear death no more
]] than Jesus did. I *was* Jesus in a past life, you see.
]] That's how I know HE *wasn't* Christ! Note that I will
]] be 32 years old in 1999. I won't say more."
]]
]] - ray "I was Jesus" Parker, Mar 27/98
-----------------

------ Gordon Roy Parker threatening children, the sick and elderly --------
Subject: Re: May Lissa's Mom DIE PAINFULLY ANDROT IN HELL****
x-no-archive: yes
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 19:13:02 -0600
Newsgroups: alt.sports.gymnastics
x-no-archive: yes
****Disclaimer: I was discriminated against on the basis of
gender today and told point-blank that this was the reason. Having been
taunted by the WHOREDENS and by Lissa over this, I consider it only fair
to return similar sentiments. When I get a full apology from Lissa, and
from Dave, and his website and RayFAQ go down, I will CONSIDER changing
my attitude.
Ray, first of all STOP CURSING, KIDS READ THIS TOO!! Dave, lol!
HA HAHA! dang! oh shit! maaaaaan...! lol! hmmmaaaa! Ray's gonna sue you!
looool!!!! [laughing] shit.... hire me as your lawyer. he he ha ha ha...
loooll
<----Stop Cursing? FUCK YOU. FUCK GYMNAST WHORES TOO. They
know DAMN well what goes on and what harmed me and they LAUGH at it.
May they all do a GOMEZ on vault and have the ambulance do a GRIVICH on
the way to the hospital if they are going to laugh at my career road
blocks, sexual road blocks that they CLAIM to disapprove of...except
when they need a job, so then it's okay to show a little ass, as long as
the boss doesn't try to touch that ass. FUCK THEM. They're moral
GARBAGE! They know it too; that's why they can't stand hearing it; if
it weren't true they wouldn't care. They're good for ONE THING and ONE
THING only, and they know that too. If they want me to be nice to them,
let them undo a few years of damage and apologize for THEIR attitudes.
They bring this shit on themselves with their arrogance. Spoiled BRATS.
You think my suing Dave and Dominique is a joke? Keep laughing.
Please. I'd love it if you did. You want to be Dave's lawyer? Go right
ahead. You punks think this is playtime; you're in for an awfully rude
shock. I gave fair warning. Dave(and Dominique through Dave) said "Go
for it." I will. I'll go for every last ounce of gold that resides in
both their scumbag pockets.
See, I was being a NICE GUY about this before. I decided not to
be NICE anymore. I get really FUCKING PISSED OFFwhen people mock my
pain, enough to where I start focusing my energy on THEIR pain. Lissa's
pain. The pain of watching her mother die the same death my secretarial
career died. Yes, that death. I know what it's like to watch something
you love die. Watching my father die right in front of my eyes at age
12 wasn't as painful as watching women get sexually harassed by their
bosses, but that was nothing compared to the pain of seeing women mock
the issue, like it were okay, like they couldn't have the courage to do
the right thing.
Lissa, watch your mom fade away and think of mycareer, and then
think of the fact that I can revive my career. Noone will be able to
revive your mom. No one. She's DYING, and she's DYING slowly. Does she
even remember your name anymore? I don't think so.....you think Dave's
such a nice guy? I don't. Hedoes that page for you, Missy, Dominique,
and all those wonderful girls who worship him. You think he's going to
get away with it? He's not. If you want to see God's punishment for your
treatment of me, watch it in your mom.
My last spell went to Jaycie's knees. She still competing?
Nope. The next one goes to Lissa's mom. Note her condition today and
see how she progresses from here. Don't mess with a psychic. After
this one is done I'll start REALLY wishing for some Gomez action on the
vault, and I'll start naming names and focusing ALL of my psychic energy
on it.
--------------------------------
Subject: Re: Need A Piece Of Advice
Date: 1998/11/02
Newsgroups: alt.romance
Look at the way women treat "losers" and you will see
why they wind up beaten, murdered, raped, robbed, disrespected, and
oppressed. It is because women DESERVE it. The ones who harmed me
should thank their lucky stars that I didn't react like a primate and
just dump them six feet underground. Unfortunately, premeditated murder
would ruin this ethical thing I have going for me, although on a primal
level it is quite appealing.

From: ***@hotmail.com
Subject: Ray Gordon vs. The Magnificent Seven (1 of 4)
Date: 1998/09/18
Newsgroups: alt.sex.stories

These young cunts are tough. They’re athletes, at the peak of
physical and mental conditioning. This won’t be like boffing
some spoiled Hollywood fucktoy like Alicia Silverstone. These
girls will fight us ... they’ll test us every step of the
way. We need guys with no souls, real ghouls, Ted Bundys with
hard-ons.

The other cunts like Shannon Miller and Jaycie Phelps are
lily- white suburban cunts. The sheer presence of a nigger
with a footlong dick wagging in their faces will keep them
paralyzed with terror. Especially for that little cunt,
Dominique Moceanu We should gangbang her with the Posse,
give ‘em carte blanche.

I’ll take Shannon. I relished the thought. Of all the cunts,
I thought she might just be the sweetest. She had grown up in
the last few years, and even though I love a prepubescent
fucktoy as much as the next guy, there’s something about an
older teen like Shannon that really gets me hard. Maybe it’s
because I know that they know all the twisted shit that can
happen when they’re under a man’s will. The young cunts just
take it because they have no comprehension what’s coming next.
The older bitches, though, they know. You can see it in their
eyes, that blank cold dread, that stark, catatonic horror. May
I suggest forcing her to suck and fuck some stallion cock?

Having grown up in Oklahoma and being around such animals her
whole life, it’s a pretty sure bet she’s seen a big horse dick
and fantasized about what it would feel like blowing it and
shoving it in her tight, teenage twat. All country girls do.
That’s why forcing them to encounter such a beast is so
psychologically devastating. You are making them live out
their most depraved fantasy, and you are showing them that
you know what lurks in the darkest corners of their slutty
little brains. Stripped of this last vestige of self-respect,
they submit rather readily. I fixed on the image on Shannon
Miller struggling to deep-throat a huge, stallion prick as
I berated her.
level it is quite appealing.
g***@yahoo.com
2006-07-11 13:34:42 UTC
Speaking of Shannon Miller, I read in the paper that she's getting a
divorce and it's a pretty nasty breakup. He says she was cheating on
him and she tried to extort him by threatening to accuse him of popping
pain pills.

A match made in heaven LOL.
Odious
2006-07-11 06:45:27 UTC
Did this guy publicly state on usenet that he had herpes? You know, like
you did.

See gordo, the two big differences between your situation, and actual
defamation are really pretty simple to even a laymen.

First, all of what is said to and about you falls under ridicule, opinions,
or direct quotess from your own statements. None of which constitute
defamation.

Second you've done so much to damage your own reputation with shit like your
9-11 posts and wishing death on children or claiming you're jesus, that you
have no reputation to defame. You trying to claim defamation is like Manson
trying to claim defamation or Saddam Hussein trying to claim his reputation
was ruined by criticism.

This is why your defamation claims have already been thrown out of court
with prejudice.
actions."
Ray Gordon
2006-07-11 07:39:07 UTC
Post by Odious
Did this guy publicly state on usenet that he had herpes? You know, like
you did.
See gordo, the two big differences between your situation, and actual
defamation are really pretty simple to even a laymen.
Odiot is incorrect, since my defamation claim against Google was dismissed
over 47 USC §230 immunity, the same thing this *attorney* is trying to
overcome in his suit, by attempting to hold a website liable for user
comments.
From Parker v. Google, E.D.Pa. #04-cv-3918
ZFORCE

Get to sleep newsloon.
Teddybear
2006-07-11 14:32:36 UTC
Post by Ray Gordon
Post by Odious
Did this guy publicly state on usenet that he had herpes? You know, like
you did.
See gordo, the two big differences between your situation, and actual
defamation are really pretty simple to even a laymen.
Odiot is incorrect, since my defamation claim against Google was dismissed
over 47 USC §230 immunity, the same thing this *attorney* is trying to
overcome in his suit, by attempting to hold a website liable for user
comments.
And it will fail just as yours did. Part of what he has to overcome is your
fuckups in Federal Court. Many a good argument has been made moot by the
irresponsible acts of others.
Moron
Post by Ray Gordon
--
"Plaintiff is COMPLETELY INCOMPREHENSIBLE." -- The Honorable R. Barclay
Surrick, Eastern District of PA Judge
Odious
WITH PREJUDICE!
JJTj
2006-07-11 10:36:22 UTC
Post by Ray Gordon
Hmm, now that an ATTORNEY
I already have a laywer who has won a big defamation case in MA willing to
take a free look at my file concerning you. Now I just have one more page
to fax him.
"..Tell us all again about this
'lawyer' in MASS you have ready
to sue me? Is there a reason WHY
you won't name 'him (her?)' BESIDES
the reason there ISN't any lawyer and
it's just you spewing another cowardly,
impotent threat..? Just WHAT is stopping U..?.."

I'm all ready to call him/her NOW..

Tell us again, coward, why you are too scared to
provide this person's name? You stated you have
spoken\fax'ed this person about me, yet you cannot
NAME this person. You have my contact INFO, I have
posted it here..tell the world, child molester...
Daedalus
2006-07-11 13:26:36 UTC
Post by Ray Gordon
Hmm, now that an ATTORNEY was the target of the defamation, he's making the
same arguments I made against Google, namely that 47 USC §230 should not
confer immunity to distributors of defamation.
This is also the argument that has so far held up in California with Barrett
v. Rosenthal.
I thought you did have herpes. This wouldn't work for you.

Besides that you're an annoying crybaby and the courts seem to be
catching on.

Piss off, Ray.

Jade
actions."
Teddybear
2006-07-11 13:58:51 UTC
Post by Ray Gordon
Hmm, now that an ATTORNEY was the target of the defamation, he's making
the same arguments I made against Google, namely that 47 USC §230 should
not confer immunity to distributors of defamation.
This is also the argument that has so far held up in California with
Barrett v. Rosenthal.
Yeah, but that was before you muddied the water in Federal Court which as we
all know is the Higher Court. You may actually be used as a cite in that
case when they throw it out. Because of your legal bufoonery, what could
have been a valid argument is gone. This is why amateurs like you should
stay out of Federal Court, not for the damage you do to yourself, but for
the damage you could potentially do to others. But of course, you don't
give a damn about others do you?

Moron
Teddybear
2006-07-11 15:58:51 UTC
Question?

Was he a cheater and does he have herpes. If he has admitted both online,
he doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Ray Gordon
2006-07-11 18:50:11 UTC
Post by Teddybear
Question?
Was he a cheater and does he have herpes. If he has admitted both online,
he doesn't have a leg to stand on.
He says the statements were false. The issue with the website, however, is
whether they can be held liable for the user conduct.
From Parker v. Google, E.D.Pa. #04-cv-3918
Teddybear
2006-07-11 20:08:37 UTC
"Plaintiff is COMPLETELY INCOMPREHENSIBLE." -- The Honorable R. Barclay
Surrick, Eastern
District of PA Judge
From Parker v. Google, E.D.Pa. #04-cv-3918

I think the professionals that have ruled on your cases say it best. You
are not a lawyer and do not comprehend the complexities of the Legal System.
\

And this is just bullshit.......
Profile for WeSueOnTheNet4U

Member Name: A global internet legal network with specific interest in
internet defamation cases and general interest in justice and service.
Location: Based in Pennsylvania, but we can practice anywhere or find
someone who can.
Sex: Male
Marital Status: Single
Hobbies: Many good ones when I have time. Keywords: slander, ISP
negligence, personal injury, product liability, constitutional law, Gore,
Bush, McCain, Reform, Democrat, congress, washington, DC, Clinton,
Computers: Keywords: law, free, contingency, pro bono, attorney, attorneys,
barrister, lawyer, pitbull, internet, libel, defamation,
Occupation: Author: "Defamation And Dominique" http://www.cybersheet.com/l
aw/dominique.html (<---remove space). Also legal webmaster.
Personal Quote: If you have a case, feel free to contact us via e-mail or
IM. Confidentiality respected. Also seeking lawyers worldwide to
participate in the network.

End Quote
Odious
2006-07-12 01:18:55 UTC
Post by Ray Gordon
Post by Teddybear
Question?
Was he a cheater and does he have herpes. If he has admitted both
online, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.
He says the statements were false.
Then he may have a leg to stand on.... assuming he did not ruin his own
reputation by making public statements about wanting to kill kids and being
jesus.
Alex
Your failure in court has already established that they cannot.
Krus T. Olfard
2006-07-13 00:05:49 UTC
Post by Ray Gordon
He says the statements were false. The issue with the website,
however, is whether they can be held liable for the user conduct.
Since more than one judge has told you that you don't know shit about the
law (they may have said it nicer but that's essentially what they said)
why do you insist in posting your off-topic legal loser bullshit?
--
Krustavus Teofilus Olfard

------------------
Everything I post is my opinion. If you don't like my opinions then
killfile me, if you have the balls.
HeeroYuy
2006-07-13 01:37:18 UTC
Post by Krus T. Olfard
Post by Ray Gordon
He says the statements were false. The issue with the website,
however, is whether they can be held liable for the user conduct.
Since more than one judge has told you that you don't know shit about the
law (they may have said it nicer but that's essentially what they said)
why do you insist in posting your off-topic legal loser bullshit?
I'll wager a guess and say that it's because it's all Gordon has.
Post by Krus T. Olfard
--
Krustavus Teofilus Olfard
------------------
Pneuma Cheney
2006-07-11 20:17:43 UTC
Post by MCP
Joseph, a former Miami Herald columnist, says that this is the first time her
six-month-old site has been sued.
"It's utterly ridiculous," she says. "And I will not be intimated or bullied."
Prediction. Some girl friend beating manic will be listed on her site
within the next year and Ms. Joseph will be the victim of a violent
crime.
--
When will the last helicopter depart the Baghdad Green Zone?
Body Count: http://icasualties.org/oif/