The 50 Best Guy Movies of All Time
Ablang
2003-11-25 00:19:33 UTC
Are in Men's Journal 12/03.

Some of the best movie quotes I will mention here:

1. Dirty Harry 1972 - "You have to ask yourself one question. Do I feel
lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

8. The Matrix 1999 - "There is no spoon." [Ed. I forget the context of what
that phrase meant.]

11. Full Metal Jacket 1987 - "You had best unfuck yourself or I will
unscrew your head and shit down your neck!"

17. Apocalypse Now 1979 - "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning."

36. Blade 1998 - "Crosses and holy water don't do dick, so forget what you
saw in the movies."

41. The Three Stooges - "I'd knock your brains out if you had any."

And the best guy movie of the year:
Kill Bill 2003 - "Every time you don't give me answers, I'm going to cut
something off. And I promise you, they will be things you will miss."

[Ed. What were your favorite movie quotes of all time?]
--
Hilary Duff is America's Sweetheart & an international HeartBreaker.

"FAILING = Finding An Important Lesson, Inviting Needed Growth" -- Gary
Busey
Bob
"What a maroon!" Buggs Bunny.
Ablang
2003-11-25 00:37:42 UTC
I'm surprised that Braveheart, Austin Powers, Bound, Face/Off, Falling
Down, Graduate, Heat, Independence Day, Man On The Moon, Pulp Fiction,
Speed, & Wild Things didn't make the list.
edwal
2003-11-25 15:42:27 UTC
You forgot "The Deer Hunter"
Hanuman
2003-11-25 01:15:29 UTC
The following list was compiled by men in this NG and other NGs on the
net.... Unlike the previous list, created by journalists....

400 Blows
A Beautiful Mind
A Better Place (directed by Vincent Pereira)
A Boy and His Dog
A Christmas Story
A Lion in Winter
A Man Called Horse
A Man For All Seasons
A River Runs Through It
Aguirre, The Wrath of God
All Quiet on the Western Front
all the 'Thin Man' movies.. (William Powell, Myrna Loy)
Almost Famous
American Beauty
American Pop (animated movie by Ralph Bakshi)
American President, The
Apocalypse Now
Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, The
Barton Fink
Becket
Bird Man of Alcatraz, The
Black Hawk Down
Black Robe
Born on the Fourth of July
Braveheart
Brazil
Brother's Keeper
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Caine Mutiny, The
Casablanca
Catch Me If You Can
Chasing Amy
Cinema Paradiso
Citizen Kane
Colors
Cool Hand Luke
Crumb
Dances with Wolves
Death of a Salesman
Deliverance
Destry Rides Again (1934? - James Stewart, Marlene Dietrich)
Disclosure
Donnie Darko
Double Indemnity
Down By Law
Eight Men Out
El Cid
Enemy At The Gates
Enemy Mine
Excalibur
Eyes Wide Shut
Falling Down
Field of Dreams
Field, The
Fight Club
Finding Forrester
Fitzcarraldo
Flim-Flam Man, The
For the Love of the Game
Frequency
Full Metal Jacket
Full Monty, The
Game, The
Get on the Bus
Gettysburg
Gladiator
Glengarry Glen Ross
Glory Daze
Godfather Series, The
Goin' Down The Road (Directed by Don Shebib)
Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, The
Graduate, The
Green Mile, The
Hard Core
He Said, She Said
High and the Mighty, The
High Plains Drifter
Homecoming, The
Hud
Hudsucker Proxy, The
Hunt For Red October, The
I Was A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932 - Paul Muni)
Il Postale
In the Company of Men
Incredible Shrinking Man, The
It's A Wonderful Life
Jeremiah Johnson
Joshua: Then And Now
Karate Kid Series
Kid, The
Kiss the Sky
Kitchen Party (directed by Gary Burns)
Kramer vs. Kramer
Last Days of Patton, The
Last Picture Show
Lawrence of Arabia
Legends of the Fall
Life Is Beautiful
Little Big Man
Lonely Are the Brave
Love Stinks
MacBeth
Magnificent Seven, The
Major League
Man With A Plan
Marathon Man
Marx Brothers, The
Medicine Man
Men Don't Tell
Men of Honor
Midnight Clear
Midnight Cowboy
Mighty, The
Misfits, The
Mission, The
Mr. Blanding Builds His Dream House
Mr. Roberts
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
My Dog Skip
Natural, The
O' Brother, Where Art Thou?
October Sky
Odd Couple, The
Of Human Bondage (1930s)
Of Mice and Men
Old Man and the Sea, The
On the Waterfront
Once Upon A Time In The West
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Ordinary People
Outlaw Josey Wales, The
Oxbow Incident, The
Papillon
Parenthood
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Patriot, The
Patton
Platoon
Public Enemy (1930s)
Red Badge of Courage, The
Red Dust (1932 - Clark Gable, Jean Harlow)
Road to Peridition, The
Rob Roy
Rookie, The
Roots
Saving Private Ryan
Scarface (1932 - Paul Muni)
Schindler's List
Se7en
Seven Samurai
Shaka Zulu
Shawshank Redemption, The
Simon Birch
Smoke Signals
Sometimes a Great Notion
Stand by Me
State of The Union
Sting, The
Straight Story, The
Straw Dogs
Summer of '42
Taming of the Shrew, The
Tao of Steve, The
Taps
The Great Gatsby
Three Colors: White (Directed by Kieslowski)
To Sir With Love
Touch of Evil
Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The
Twelve Angry Men
TwentyFourSeven
Unforgiven
War of the Roses, The
World According to Garp, The
Yearling, The (1940s)

Hanuman
--
"This is the worst government the US has ever had in its more than 200
years of history.... This is not normal government policy.... What we
speaking about the Bush presidency
Mark Borgerson
2003-11-25 02:55:15 UTC
In article <R2ywb.224659$***@attbi_s51>, ***@monkey.com
says...
Post by Hanuman
The following list was compiled by men in this NG and other NGs on the
net.... Unlike the previous list, created by journalists....
"Master and Commander -- The Far Side of the World" definitely
needs to be added to the list. It is a wonderful exposition of
the characteristics of duty, honor, courage, intelligenceand
intellectual curiosity---untainted by any requirement for a
love story or any glorification of the female gender! (The
most feminine thing in the movie is probably the figurehead
of the Surprise!)

I plan on taking my son next time---so he can see how
12-year olds learned the art of war before there were
video games!
Mark Borgerson
Rauni
2003-11-25 03:33:53 UTC
Post by Mark Borgerson
says...
Post by Hanuman
The following list was compiled by men in this NG and other NGs on the
net.... Unlike the previous list, created by journalists....
"Master and Commander -- The Far Side of the World" definitely
needs to be added to the list. It is a wonderful exposition of
the characteristics of duty, honor, courage, intelligenceand
intellectual curiosity---untainted by any requirement for a
love story or any glorification of the female gender! (The
most feminine thing in the movie is probably the figurehead
of the Surprise!)
I so agree what a marvelous film. I'm going to see it again.
Mark Borgerson
Rauni
2003-11-25 03:35:38 UTC
Post by Mark Borgerson
says...
Post by Hanuman
The following list was compiled by men in this NG and other NGs on the
net.... Unlike the previous list, created by journalists....
"Master and Commander -- The Far Side of the World" definitely
needs to be added to the list. It is a wonderful exposition of
the characteristics of duty, honor, courage, intelligenceand
intellectual curiosity---untainted by any requirement for a
love story or any glorification of the female gender! (The
most feminine thing in the movie is probably the figurehead
of the Surprise!)
I plan on taking my son next time---so he can see how
12-year olds learned the art of war before there were
video games!
Take a 12 year old girl as well! My daughter grew up learning how to
sail a schooner. She eventually joined the navy. She would have loved
this film. It is a great way to teach your kids history.
Mark Borgerson
Grizzlie Antagonist
2003-11-25 03:56:46 UTC
Post by Rauni
Post by Mark Borgerson
says...
Post by Hanuman
The following list was compiled by men in this NG and other NGs on the
net.... Unlike the previous list, created by journalists....
"Master and Commander -- The Far Side of the World" definitely
needs to be added to the list. It is a wonderful exposition of
the characteristics of duty, honor, courage, intelligenceand
intellectual curiosity---untainted by any requirement for a
love story or any glorification of the female gender! (The
most feminine thing in the movie is probably the figurehead
of the Surprise!)
I plan on taking my son next time---so he can see how
12-year olds learned the art of war before there were
video games!
Take a 12 year old girl as well! My daughter grew up learning how to
sail a schooner. She eventually joined the navy.
Shit! The sins of a slick butch feminist mother are passed onto the
slick butch feminist daughter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***@yahoo.com

"Ladies and gentlemen - let's have another round of applause for YOUR FRESNO GRIZZLIES!"

- P.A. announcer at Grizzlie Stadium

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh
at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the
geldings be fruitful" - C.S.Lewis

"The history of women is the history of the worst tyranny the world has ever
known; the tyranny of the weak over the strong. It is the only tyranny that ever
lasts." - Oscar Wilde

"Thou goest to women? Do not forget thy whip!"- Friedrich Nietzsche
Ian
Are you a grandma yet? Or didn't she fight in th gulf?
Rauni
2003-11-25 04:31:38 UTC
Post by Mark Borgerson
says...
Post by Hanuman
The following list was compiled by men in this NG and other NGs on the
net.... Unlike the previous list, created by journalists....
How about "Second Hand Lions"? I think that the speech that Hub gives
to Walter about what a man should believe in is wonderful. That People
are basically good and decent. Money and power don't compare to spirit
and heart. True love lasts forever. In it’s simplest form it’s about
faith.

Those ideals are not always real, Hub acknowledges, but they are still
worth believing.

This is a film I would take my kid too.
Post by Hanuman
[...]
"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure
and never simple." -- Oscar Wilde
Matthew Montchalin
2003-11-25 04:09:34 UTC
|The following list was compiled by men in this NG and other NGs on the
|net.... Unlike the previous list, created by journalists....

<snip>

| Last Days of Patton, The
| Last Picture Show
| Lawrence of Arabia
| Legends of the Fall
| Life Is Beautiful
| Little Big Man
| Lonely Are the Brave
| Love Stinks
| MacBeth

What on earth are you using for a standard?

And why isn't Roddy McDowall's Lord Love a Duck included in that list?
Hanuman
2003-11-25 09:12:00 UTC
Post by Hanuman
Last Days of Patton, The
Last Picture Show
Lawrence of Arabia
Legends of the Fall
Life Is Beautiful
Little Big Man
Lonely Are the Brave
Love Stinks
MacBeth
What on earth are you using for a standard?
Movies suggested by men in this NG and others.
Post by Matthew Montchalin
And why isn't Roddy McDowall's Lord Love a Duck included in that list?
Because nobody as of yet suggested it.

Hanuman
Jon Gillam
2003-11-25 23:31:27 UTC
;-P
Graham
2003-11-27 04:32:30 UTC
can someone explain what is meant by a "guy movie"...it can't be what I
think it is other wise, what the fuck are movies like American President,
Dances with Wolves,Green Mile,It's A Wonderful Life,Kramer vs. Kramer,Mr.
Smith Goes To Washington, Ordinary People,To Sir With Love, doing on this
list....if the guys came around to watch a movie in your house, would you
dare to show these titles.....great movies but not guy guy movies, surely ?

yes, I am expecting the usual replies about steriotypes etc..

Is a guy movie, a movie with a guy in it ?

and someone said that Master Commander should be on the list....for goodness
sake, it only just opened..let time be our guide..its like asking teenagers
what there fav film is..and 90% of the time, the poor tykes will say it was
the last movie that they saw.." oh yeah Dude, I just saw X2 and its the best
movie of all time" etc etc

gra
Hanuman
2003-11-27 08:24:05 UTC
Post by Graham
[...]
Well, I started this list a couple of years ago. The original intention was
to only have films about men that portray men in a positive light and say
something affirming about masculinity. Most of the films on this list, I
believe, fit this category. Then the list expanded to include things that
speak to men's sensibilities and experiences. Some films like In the
Company of Men, The War of the Roses, or Love Stinks fall into this
category. They don't portray men in a positive light by any means, but they
do say something vital about the masculine experience of life.

That being said, I have not seen all the films on the list. I just started
the list. I put a * next to each movie below that I've seen. I put a 1
next to films I think are films with strong characters portraying a positive
masculine lead. I put a 2 next to films I think are films that speak to the
experience of men, but don't necessarily portay men as positive.

The intention was never to create a list of "movies that guys like to
watch." That would be a different list and would probably include a lot
more pictures having nothing to do with men and/or masculinity, like SciFi
blockbusters such as Terminator and horror movies with lots of scantily clad
hot women like Scream.

Hope that answers your question.

Hanuman
Post by Graham
Post by Hanuman
The following list was compiled by men in this NG and other NGs on
the net.... Unlike the previous list, created by journalists....
400 Blows
A Beautiful Mind * 1
A Better Place (directed by Vincent Pereira)
A Boy and His Dog * 1
A Christmas Story * 2
A Lion in Winter
A Man Called Horse
A Man For All Seasons
A River Runs Through It * 1
Aguirre, The Wrath of God
All Quiet on the Western Front * 1
all the 'Thin Man' movies.. (William Powell, Myrna Loy)
Almost Famous * 1
American Beauty * 1
American Pop (animated movie by Ralph Bakshi)
American President, The * 1
Apocalypse Now * 2
Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, The
Barton Fink
Becket
Bird Man of Alcatraz, The * 2
Black Hawk Down * 1
Black Robe
Born on the Fourth of July * 1
Braveheart * 1
Brazil * 1
Brother's Keeper
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid * 1
Caine Mutiny, The * 1
Casablanca * 1
Catch Me If You Can * 2
Chasing Amy * 2
Cinema Paradiso * 1
Citizen Kane * 2
Colors * 1
Cool Hand Luke * 1
Crumb * 2
Dances with Wolves * 1
Death of a Salesman
Deliverance * 1
Destry Rides Again (1934? - James Stewart, Marlene Dietrich)
Disclosure * 1
Donnie Darko * 1
Double Indemnity
Down By Law
Eight Men Out
El Cid * 2
Enemy At The Gates * 1
Enemy Mine * 1
Excalibur * 1
Eyes Wide Shut * 2
Falling Down * 1
Field of Dreams * 1
Field, The
Fight Club * 1
Finding Forrester * 1
Fitzcarraldo * 2
Flim-Flam Man, The
For the Love of the Game
Frequency * 1
Full Metal Jacket * 2
Full Monty, The
Game, The * 1
Get on the Bus
Gettysburg * 1
Gladiator * 1
Glengarry Glen Ross
Glory Daze
Godfather Series, The * 2
Goin' Down The Road (Directed by Don Shebib)
Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, The
Graduate, The * 2
Green Mile, The * 1
Hard Core * 1
He Said, She Said * 2
High and the Mighty, The
High Plains Drifter * 1
Homecoming, The
Hud
Hudsucker Proxy, The * 1
Hunt For Red October, The * 1
I Was A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932 - Paul Muni)
Il Postale
In the Company of Men * 2
Incredible Shrinking Man, The
It's A Wonderful Life * 1
Jeremiah Johnson
Joshua: Then And Now
Karate Kid Series * 1
Kid, The * 1
Kiss the Sky * 2
Kitchen Party (directed by Gary Burns)
Kramer vs. Kramer
Last Days of Patton, The * 1
Last Picture Show
Lawrence of Arabia
Legends of the Fall * 1
Life Is Beautiful * 1
Little Big Man
Lonely Are the Brave
Love Stinks * 2
MacBeth * 1
Magnificent Seven, The * 1
Major League
Man With A Plan
Marathon Man
Marx Brothers, The
Medicine Man * 1
Men Don't Tell
Men of Honor * 1
Midnight Clear
Midnight Cowboy
Mighty, The
Misfits, The
Mission, The * 2
Mr. Blanding Builds His Dream House
Mr. Roberts
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
My Dog Skip
Natural, The
O' Brother, Where Art Thou? * 1
October Sky
Odd Couple, The * 2
Of Human Bondage (1930s)
Of Mice and Men * 1
Old Man and the Sea, The
On the Waterfront
Once Upon A Time In The West
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest * 2
Ordinary People
Outlaw Josey Wales, The * 1
Oxbow Incident, The
Papillon
Parenthood
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Patriot, The * 1
Patton * 1
Platoon * 2
Public Enemy (1930s)
Red Badge of Courage, The
Red Dust (1932 - Clark Gable, Jean Harlow)
Road to Peridition, The * 1
Rob Roy * 1
Rookie, The
Roots * 1
Saving Private Ryan * 1
Scarface (1932 - Paul Muni)
Schindler's List * 1
Se7en * 2
Seven Samurai * 1
Shaka Zulu
Shawshank Redemption, The * 1
Simon Birch
Smoke Signals
Sometimes a Great Notion
Stand by Me * 1
State of The Union
Sting, The * 2
Straight Story, The
Straw Dogs
Summer of '42
Taming of the Shrew, The
Tao of Steve, The * 2
Taps * 1
The Great Gatsby * 2
Three Colors: White (Directed by Kieslowski) * 2
To Sir With Love
Touch of Evil * 2
Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The
Twelve Angry Men * 1
TwentyFourSeven
Unforgiven * 1
War of the Roses, The * 2
World According to Garp, The * 1
Yearling, The (1940s)
Hanuman
Graham
2003-11-27 12:24:45 UTC
Post by Hanuman
Post by Graham
[...]
best then if you change the subject line to reflect what you are on about

gra
Mike
2003-11-29 19:13:40 UTC
I never saw the Full Monty but thought it was about how far men have fallen,
i.e., a negative portrayal. I saw Eyes Wide Open and would group it as a
women film. Any film on men in a team, nation etc working for a common goal
I would say is a guy movie; so I'll add Rollerball (1975) and on a more
flippant note the ski film The Blizzard of Aahs. Wonder If I can find the
Taming of the Shrew or El Cid at the store.
M C
2003-11-27 21:47:55 UTC
I don't think thist is a good "guy movie" list at all. A guy movie is one
that most guys will find entertaining while most women will just roll their
eyes and leave the room. Examples are Deathrace 2000, Stooges, Conan, etc.
Also, in light of recent events "Master and Commander" will have to change
its name to keep from insulting african americans. It seems that the terms
for harddrives - master and slave was too much for one man who sued.
The Blue
2003-11-28 17:00:47 UTC
Post by M C
I don't think thist is a good "guy movie" list at all. A guy movie is one
that most guys will find entertaining while most women will just roll their
eyes and leave the room. Examples are Deathrace 2000, Stooges, Conan, etc.
Also, in light of recent events "Master and Commander" will have to change
its name to keep from insulting african americans. It seems that the terms
for harddrives - master and slave was too much for one man who sued.
people sue all the time for stupid things "hott coffee". Remember the
big bank robbery in LA TNT made a movie about it # 44 Minutes: The North
Hollywood Shoot-Out.
the family of the bank robbers sued la county for not getting medical
attention to the bank robbers soon enough. Mind you these men shot over
ten cops. Killed I think 6 or more cops the family may have won that
case im not sure.
--
Must fight it must , i must fight my A.D.D , what was i talking about
oh never mind oooo what that over there
Mens sana
2003-12-20 18:51:26 UTC
Post by M C
?
Post by Graham
the last movie that they saw.." oh yeah Dude, I just saw X2 and its the
best
Post by Graham
movie of all time" etc etc
gra
Post by Hanuman
[...]
Some of my favourites,

Das Boot, Cross of Iron, An American Werewolf in London, The life and times
of Judge Roy Bean, The Blue Max, Dr Strangelove, The Culpepper Cattle
Company, Electra Glide in Blue, Millers Crossing, The Bridge at Remagen, The
Usual Suspects, Once upon a time in America, The Great Escape, The Italian
Job (Original) or any of the Dirty Harry series.

Regards,

Mens sana.

Hot Frog
2003-12-01 16:35:04 UTC
Post by Graham
can someone explain what is meant by a "guy movie"...it can't be what I
think it is other wise, what the fuck are movies like American President,
Dances with Wolves,Green Mile,It's A Wonderful Life,Kramer vs. Kramer,Mr.
Smith Goes To Washington, Ordinary People,To Sir With Love, doing on this
list....if the guys came around to watch a movie in your house, would you
dare to show these titles.....great movies but not guy guy movies, surely ?
You note that the title of the thread was supplied by Ablang, who is a
little light in the mental department. The list provided by Hanuman was
compiled by men, not guys. My father and I saw Dances With Wolves
together. He was a WWII vet who participated in the invasion of the
Phillipines and Okinawa, and I am an ex collegiate football player and ex
pro wrestler. We both thought it was a great movie, and nobody
questioned our manhood. If you are hanging out with guys who don't care
for movies about courage and honor, you need to pick a better class of
friend.
Graham
2003-12-03 07:12:11 UTC
Post by Hot Frog
Post by Graham
[...]
so maybe the thread should say 50 Best MEN movies....

I think you missed the point of "the guy" movie

gra
George Peatty
2003-12-02 01:25:08 UTC
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:32:30 +1100, "Graham" <***@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

|can someone explain what is meant by a "guy movie"...it can't be what I
|think it is other wise, what the fuck are movies like American President,
|Dances with Wolves,Green Mile,It's A Wonderful Life,Kramer vs. Kramer,Mr.
|Smith Goes To Washington, Ordinary People,To Sir With Love, doing on this
|list....if the guys came around to watch a movie in your house, would you
|dare to show these titles.....great movies but not guy guy movies, surely ?

No problem. You have a movie. Any movie. You want to see it. You know the women in
your life - wife, daughter, sister, mistress, girlfriend, friend, whatever will hate it.
That's a guy flick.

Reverse polarities to test and confirm the hypothesis. One of the significant others
wants to take you to a movie you know you will hate. Chick flick.
Bob
2003-12-02 02:16:27 UTC
Post by George Peatty
|can someone explain what is meant by a "guy movie"...it can't be what I
|think it is other wise, what the fuck are movies like American President,
|Dances with Wolves,Green Mile,It's A Wonderful Life,Kramer vs. Kramer,Mr.
|Smith Goes To Washington, Ordinary People,To Sir With Love, doing on this
|list....if the guys came around to watch a movie in your house, would you
|dare to show these titles.....great movies but not guy guy movies, surely ?
No problem. You have a movie. Any movie. You want to see it. You know the women in
your life - wife, daughter, sister, mistress, girlfriend, friend, whatever will hate it.
That's a guy flick.
Reverse polarities to test and confirm the hypothesis. One of the significant others
wants to take you to a movie you know you will hate. Chick flick.
A recent movie that fits this description is "About Schmidt." Its about
a guy who's been enslaved to his wife for several decades and when she
dies he goes out to find himself. He closes his house, her house
really, gets an RV and starts off for his daughter's wedding. On the
way Schmidt finds out about being a man again. I can still see him
sitting up there on top of the RV next to a river just getting in touch
with himself. It's really an older guy movie. I loved it. My wife
hated it.

Bob
Rauni
2003-12-04 05:10:58 UTC
Post by Graham
[...]
Master and Commander is the filmed version of Patrick O'Brian
historical novels. They are quire good and the film captures the
period and the values of honor and loyalty. Especially the central to
the book and the film is the friendship between the Captain and the
ships doctor.
Post by Graham
gra
Graham
2003-12-04 07:53:09 UTC
Post by Rauni
Post by Graham
[...]
fascinating..but whats your point ?

gra
Post by Rauni
Post by Graham
gra
Viper
2003-11-26 21:07:36 UTC
Bill Murray: Ghostbusters, "Let's show this pre-historic bitch how we do
things downtown."
Are in Men's Journal 12/03.
Busey
M C
2003-11-27 01:55:16 UTC
Best guy movies?
They Live
Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness
Bridges of Madison County
Are in Men's Journal 12/03.
Busey
The Blue
2003-11-27 00:12:44 UTC
Post by M C
Best guy movies?
They Live
Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness
Bridges of Madison Countyn
my mom told me everyman should see Bridges of Madison County
Graham
2003-11-27 04:35:52 UTC
Post by M C
Best guy movies?
They Live
Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness
Bridges of Madison County
are you gay ? Bridges is a great movie, but its not for The Guys

gra
Post by M C
Are in Men's Journal 12/03.
Busey
The Blue
2003-11-28 16:47:28 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by M C
Best guy movies?
They Live
Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness
Bridges of Madison County
are you gay ? Bridges is a great movie, but its not for The Guys
I assume he was joking i hope he was
iceman
2003-11-30 15:14:34 UTC
Post by Ablang
Are in Men's Journal 12/03.
1. Dirty Harry 1972 - "You have to ask yourself one question. Do I feel
lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"
8. The Matrix 1999 - "There is no spoon." [Ed. I forget the context of what
that phrase meant.]
11. Full Metal Jacket 1987 - "You had best unfuck yourself or I will
unscrew your head and shit down your neck!"
17. Apocalypse Now 1979 - "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning."
36. Blade 1998 - "Crosses and holy water don't do dick, so forget what you
saw in the movies."
41. The Three Stooges - "I'd knock your brains out if you had any."
Kill Bill 2003 - "Every time you don't give me answers, I'm going to cut
something off. And I promise you, they will be things you will miss."
[Ed. What were your favorite movie quotes of all time?]
I agree with some but not all entries. The best guys films are(and
are not necessarily in the order of best-to-worst, just a listing):

1) all of the Dirty Harry films

2) any action/adventure flicks by Sly Stallone (especially the Rocky
and Rambo films, Cliffhanger, and Judge Dredd)

3) The Searchers with John Wayne (It's the Duke at his best...what
more can you say? :-) )

4) The Dirty Dozen (Lee Marvin's rebel attitude toward the stodgy REMF
generals in this flick rocked!!)

5) The first three James Bond flicks with Sean Connery (the action and
special effects may have sucked but Connery took no crap from women,
e.g. in "From Russia With Love", when the Russian dame would not talk,
he slapped her yet banged her at the end and, in "Goldfinger", Connery
broke through Honor Blackman's attitude and nailed her; go Sean!!!)

6)Twelve O'Clock High (Not big on combat scenes but more of a poignant
look at real male leadership and male self-sacrafice in battle)

7) The Longest Day (watch this film and also read "D-Day June 6, 1944:
The Climatic Battle of World War II" by Stephen Ambrose; not only a
good film but also both the film and the book show just how spurious
the feminazi claim that men do not work well as a team really is!
Best scene and line: Robert Mitchum as General Norm Coda on Omaha
beach: "Now listen to me, ALL OF YOU!! You men have to snap out of it!
You all know the score; I don't have to tell you! There are only two
types of men that are staying on this beach: those who are dead and
those who are going to die! Now get off your butts! You men are the
fightin' 29th!")

8) Patton with George C. Scott. In some ways, like Twelve O'Clock
High in the beginning with the notion of leadership. Also, for this
period in time, it really required viewing for those men who have
accepted the shackles of the humorous, bumbling male role that movies,
TV, and marketing have foisted upon us.

9) Top Gun. A woman I had once known had said in a pejorative
fashion, "eww, that's a pro-male movie!"(exact quote). That alone
merits inclusion on this list! LOL!!!

I could add more but the bottom line, gentlemen, is that the best guy
film is one where the male protagonist shows those distinctively
masculine characteristics of decisiveness, honor, strength,
intelligence, and a determination to get the job done, absent of any
namby-pamby, effete, liberal, feminazi moral-relativistic, Woody
Allen-esque indecision and whining.
Andre Lieven
2003-11-30 23:01:31 UTC
Post by iceman
Post by Ablang
Are in Men's Journal 12/03.
[...]
If you're going to watch this film, and it's a great one, no doubt,
then also read the book of the same name by Cornelius Ryan, which the
film follows amazingly ( By modern " based on a true story " standards )
accurately.
Post by iceman
[...]
I'd also add in, both the book and the film of " The Hunt For Red
October ". Great stuff on doing the job, and thinking your way
through new and critical situations.

For that matter, while it's not a film, but a teevee show, I've
been viewing the first season DVD set of The West Wing, and I've been
noticing a lot of good guy to guy moments in it.

In one episode, its becoming clear to the staff that the Chief Of
Staff for The President is the target of a scurrilous campaign of
one concresscritter, over the Chief's drug problem of years ago,
and his treatment of it, after which he neither used nor drank.

So, Josh gets Sam to have them both see Sam's " friend " ( Shes a
high priced call girl, but when Sam slept with her, he didn't know
that, she went with him for free, 'cause she liked him ) to see
if she can give them anything to use against the congresscritter.

She's appaled, and Josh goes over the line, in berating her over
that they need this info, because they need to defend their very
good friend, for whom they would risk a lot. All come to their
senses, and Sam and Josh leave. Of course, Leo, the Chief of Staff,
knows that they went, and he has a " talk " with them. They explain
that they did it, because they're not going to let him get taken
down over this.

" Is that supposed to mean something to me ? ! ", Leo replies.
" No ", Josh says quietly, rather shaken.

" Well... it did. " says Leo.

Thats two guys being real...
Post by iceman
I could add more but the bottom line, gentlemen, is that the best guy
film is one where the male protagonist shows those distinctively
masculine characteristics of decisiveness, honor, strength,
intelligence, and a determination to get the job done, absent of any
namby-pamby, effete, liberal, feminazi moral-relativistic, Woody
Allen-esque indecision and whining.
Andre

--
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.
Rich Soyack
2003-12-01 02:51:38 UTC
Post by Andre Lieven
Post by iceman
Post by Ablang
Are in Men's Journal 12/03.
[...]
I agree, and the same goes for "A Bridge Too Far," and "Band of Brothers."

Rich Soyack
Andre Lieven
2003-12-01 04:37:54 UTC
Post by Rich Soyack
Post by Andre Lieven
Post by iceman
Are in Men's Journal 12/03.
Post by Andre Lieven
Post by iceman
Post by Ablang
[...]
Exactly. Though, I'd say that the film of A Bridge Too Far is the one
of the trio that moves a bit more away from it's source book.

Andre

--
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.
Rich Soyack
2003-12-01 05:30:48 UTC
Post by Andre Lieven
Post by Rich Soyack
Post by Andre Lieven
Post by iceman
Are in Men's Journal 12/03.
Post by Andre Lieven
Post by iceman
Post by Ablang
[...]
I would list it third of the three mentioned here but I have a slight
emotional attachment
to it. When I was working in The Netherlands, a few years ago, I visited
Arnhem and
walked the route from the landing zones to the John Frost Bridge. While I
was reading
the inspription on a monument to the soldiers of John Frost's Battalion an
elderly Dutch
man asked me if I was an American, we do stand out. He then thanked me. He
had
been in Arnhem during the battle and the "starvation winter" that followed.
He had tears
in his eyes. I don't think I'll ever forget it.

Rich Soyack
Andre Lieven
2003-12-01 15:28:02 UTC
Post by iceman
Post by Andre Lieven
Post by Rich Soyack
Post by Andre Lieven
Post by iceman
Are in Men's Journal 12/03.
Post by Andre Lieven
Post by Rich Soyack
Post by Andre Lieven
Post by Rich Soyack
Post by Andre Lieven
Post by Rich Soyack
Post by Andre Lieven
Post by Rich Soyack
Post by Andre Lieven
Post by iceman
[...]
Got it. I'm glad that you had such a good historical experience there.
Thats a good way for people to better understand history through
personal contacts.

I recall thinking, way back when, when I was taking the hovercraft
from Calais to Dover, that I was about to succeed in a direction of
travel that the whole German WW2 Army wasn't able to. Plus, above
the Calais embarkation point, you could still see several WW2 coast
defense gun battery positions.

Andre